Led by Ian Kerr, a Faculty member of the Centre for Law, Technology and Society, Yoshua Bengio, Geoffrey Hinton, Rich Sutton and Doina Precup, more than 200 members of the Canadian research community exhort the Prime Minister of Canada to join the international call to ban lethal autonomous weapons that remove meaningful human control in the deployment of lethal force.
An open letter authored by five Canadian experts in artificial intelligence research urges the Prime Minister to urgently address the challenge of lethal autonomous weapons (often called “killer robots”) and to take a leading position against Autonomous Weapon Systems on the international stage at the upcoming UN meetings in Geneva.
The authors of the letter are:
- Ian Kerr, Canada Research Chair in Ethics, Law and Technology, University of Ottawa,
- Yoshua Bengio, Canada Research Chair in Statistical Learning Algorithms, Université de Montréal,
- Geoffrey Hinton , Engineering Fellow, Google and Chief Scientific Advisor, The Vector Institute,
- Rich Sutton, AITF Chair in Reinforcement Learning and Artificial Intelligence, University of Alberta,
- Doina Precup, Canada Research Chair in Machine Learning, McGill University.
Canadians are invited to join the #BanKillerAI call, and sign the open letter to the Prime Minister of Canada!