Type: NR4 – SSHRC Research Coordinator
Duration: Full-time (35h per week) until March 30, 2020
Start date: as soon as possible
Salary range: $50,927-$64,836 per year (amount to be calculated based on start date)
The Research Coordinator will be primarily responsible for the execution of basic investigative tasks of the research projects and contributing to the ongoing management, progress evaluation, and information dissemination relating to the projects. Specifically, the Research Coordinator will support a range of research projects which examine the uses and impacts of digital media in the 2019 Federal Election in Canada. This support will include literature review, document analysis, project administration duties, and research dissemination. The Research Coordinator will help develop a publicly accessible summary report of all projects and help host a conference at the University of Ottawa on February 20-21, 2020.
More details on the project are available at: https://www.digitalecosystem.ca/
Tasks and duties
Conduct of Research Project
- Undertakes day to day research activity within the overall agreed research program by preparing, setting up, conducting and recording the outcomes of data and information gathering activities.
- Conducts information and data retrieval searches using electronic databases and conducts internet-based and library research.
- Conducts document analysis research (e.g. searching, reading and analyzing company reports and financial statements) and extracts and links data from different databases for analysis.
- Assists with reviewing, assembling, and synthesizing existing research literature.
- Develops online digital resources, including databases and corpuses and contributes subject matter.
- Ensures compliance with University and sponsor regulations and with ethics approvals.
Data capture, maintenance and access
- Compiles, codes, categorizes, tabulates information or data.
- Verifies the accuracy and validity of data entered in databases; corrects any errors.
- Creates and maintains computer data sets and databases.
- Processes, organizes and summarizes data, using a variety of scientific, word processing, spreadsheet or statistical software applications or program platforms.
- Conducts preliminary analysis of qualitative data, summarization of findings, and development of visuals to communicate findings to stakeholders.
- Prepares detailed documentation files.
- Prepares tables, graphs, fact sheets, and written reports summarizing research results.
- Assists with the preparation, writing, translation (English and French), of key documents including ethics applications, project reports, manuscripts for publication, abstracts, scientific posters and presentations by providing technical content in support of such documents.
- Assists with welcoming, training, guiding, and supervising students and research staff.
- Develops, implements and maintains physical and electronic filing systems, especially for data management.
- Carries out general project administration and communication duties as required by the project.
- Plans and arranges meetings, teleconferences and other research related dissemination events.
- Tracks expenses, including participant reimbursements and other operational supplies; requests or acquires equipment or supplies necessary for the project.
Writing up and submitting research results for publication or presentation
- Collates and organizes, material for research papers, manuscripts, interim progress or final reports, articles or other documents for publication, presentation or submission to funding agencies, steering groups, etc. This includes a major public report summarizing initial findings from all projects which are part of the Digital Ecosystem Research Challenge.
- Assists investigator and project staff with authoring relevant sections of manuscripts, and facilitate submission of study results, conference abstracts and preparation of posters and oral presentations journal articles, for publications.
Organize and/or participate in information dissemination activities
- Assists in the organization and implementation of research dissemination events including a two-day conference at the University of Ottawa on February 20-21, 2020 and other workshops.
- Assists in the organization of, and development of material for, events including conferences, seminars and workshops amongst project investigators and stakeholders.
- Attend and contribute to relevant research and research dissemination meetings.
- Assists with any other duties required by the research project or management of the research projects.
Knowledge, skills, education and experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Communication, Political Science, or a related discipline; graduate degree is an asset.
- One to two (1 – 2) years’ experience in research positions.
- Advanced written and verbal skills in English or French. Bilingualism, spoken and written, is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
- Experience with literature searches and retrievals using electronic database.
- Intermediate computer skills and experience using MS Office (Excel, Word).
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, to work under pressure, to effectively manage overlapping duties and to meet deadlines.
- Ability to attend to detail and display resourcefulness.
- Strong organisational, time management, coordination and facilitation skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills as well as the ability to work in a team environment.